Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Choice: The African American Woman

I've decided to complete my Voices Project from the perspective of an African American woman. I chose this for several reasons. First, my position in the Department of Multicultural Affairs involves close interaction with students and staff from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds. I think it would be excellent practice for me to truly consider what it is like to be a minority student on a predominantly white campus since I work so closely with these students on a regular basis.

Second, my current supervisor and one of my previous supervisors have both been African American women. From working with these two women I have learned a lot about what it means to be a member of an NPHC sorority after one's undergraduate career, and have noticed a pattern of deep involvement in the community. My current supervisor is a member of the graduate chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., volunteers with the Girl Scouts, and is an active member in her church. Her supervisor is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., is an active participant in the choir at her church, and is the founder and operator of Portraits, an after school program for pre-school through high school aged children. My previous supervisor served as President of the graduate chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., was a supporter of Jack and Jill, a debutante society of African American children, is a member of the Community Race Relations Coalition, is a leader in her church, and speaks at numerous Diversity Training workshops throughout the year. I want to explore why all three of these women are so active in the community and if that drive comes from their undergraduate experience.

Finally, through the course of my life, I have been most intimidated by African American women (which is ironic to me considering my work history, which has not ever been uncomfortable for me). I hope this process helps me discover why that is and help me do what I can to eliminate that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment